Learn how to move and copy Anki cards to different decks with ease! This step-by-step guide will help you organize your cards effectively and maximize your learning potential.
It’s hard to figure out how to copy and move Anki cards to another deck online. Thats why I found a solution to these issues that I’m sharing with you today.
If you want some other Anki tips, make sure to check out my article on 12 secret Anki tips for more efficient learning.
With that out of the way, let’s get into how you can copy and move cards in Anki.
Copying Cards to Another Deck
Here is a simplified outline of the steps to copying Anki cards to another deck:
- Open the card browser and select the deck you want to copy from
- Right-click and select “export notes”
- Export the notes in plain text format
- Go back to the Anki main menu and select “import cards”
- Import the cards into another deck
Now I’ll get into some more detail and include screenshots to guide you along the way. Let’s get into how you can copy cards to other decks.
First, you are going to want to open the card browser by opening Anki and clicking “browse”.
Next, you are going to want to select your deck on the left side of the screen and select the cards you want to move. Make sure that the type of card you are moving is just a single card type, meaning just cloze, just basic, etc. Then, click “export notes”.
Make sure to select “cards in plain text” and include “selected notes”. I just saved this to my desktop for the purposes of this article.
Now it’s time to go back to Ankis home screen and import the cards you just exported back into the other deck you want them in. To do this, select “File” and then “import”.
From what I can tell, you can’t import multiple types of cards, as the import options only allow one type of card to be imported each time. It will automatically set the card type to the type you are importing. This is why it was important to only export a single type of card.
That’s how you copy Anki cards into another deck!
Moving Anki Cards to Another Deck
Moving your Anki cards to another deck is simple.
- First, open the card browser again and select “change deck”.
2. Select the deck you want to move the cards to. This doesn’t create a copy of the cards, it just moves the existing ones.
That’s how you move Anki cards to another deck!
- Tutorial: Here’s How to Reset Anki Decks - September 10, 2023
- How to Use Anki Custom Study to Create Filtered Decks - September 9, 2023
- Is Anki Free? How to Access it Without Spending a Dime - September 8, 2023